BeatleFred's System

BeatleFred's System

Postby BeatleFred » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:09 am

I am very much a Sansui enthusiast. I am also into Infinity speakers, and Teac/Tascam analog recording gear. I play guitar as well, so anything involving the topic of Fender electrics and Martin acoustics will catch my attention.

BeatleFred

BeatleFred's System

Postby dingus » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:17 am

nice looking setup you have there Fred, very droolable.
dingus
Site Admin

BeatleFred's System

Postby BeatleFred » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:25 am

Actually, I am hoping to have my basement remodeled so that I can have a better arrangement for all the hi fi equipment and musical instruments. Its ok the way it is now, but there is alot of room for improvement, the pic shows only a portion of the hi fi stuff in the basement. There are more amps, speakers, etc.., and having it all in one room can get a bit cumbersome for me. Audio purists may frown on Switchboxes, but I think it might be a necessity to keep one's sanity. Otherwise, moving cables all around from amp to amp & speaker to speaker, & so forth, can make ya nuts :)
BeatleFred

BeatleFred's System

Postby BeatleFred » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:34 am

Thanks again, guys. I'm spending a nice evening listening to some music. Those of you who may know me are probably aware that I LOVE my speakers, the superb Infinity Renaissance 90's. My grilles are in a taupe gray color. Here's a great pic of the fabulous Ren 90's with the standard black grilles:

BeatleFred

BeatleFred's System

Postby dingus » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:19 am

BeatleFred wrote:Those of you who may know me are probably aware that I LOVE my speakers ...

i can definately relate. your Infinity's are very nice looking, i'll bet they sound even better.
dingus
Site Admin

BeatleFred's System

Postby BeatleFred » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:26 am

Without a doubt, Infinity hit a home run when they made the Ren 90's (and little brother Renaissance 80). I also like the Quantum and Q models that Infinity made, which goes back to the late 1970's. But they are more prone to age-related problems which the Ren 90's dont have.

What I REALLY lust after is a pair of Ren 90's in the limited edition hi gloss black lacquer finish. They are rarely seen. Theyre on the cover of the Renaissance brochure circa 1992.
BeatleFred

BeatleFred's System

Postby hifi_nut » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:32 am

Fred,

Those are some gorgeous looking speakers, almost like pannels. Are they infinite baffles?
I remember listening to a similar pair many years ago at one of the first portuguese hi-fi shows, and I was mightily impressed.
I didn´t spend too much time around them, tough, for I quickly realized I couldn´t afford them. :(

Would it be too much to ask you to give us a mini review of those?

Jorge
hifi_nut

BeatleFred's System

Postby BeatleFred » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:36 pm

Hi Jorge:

I'm not sure whether to move this discussion over to the Speakers forum, but I suppose I'll continue here. I have absolutely nothing but the highest praise for the Renaissance 90's, they are extremely elegant looking (the tapered shape of the cabinet allows the speaker to present an incredible Soundstage, which distinguishes it from the more boxy-shaped cabinet designs of older models), and the sound quality is just awesome. The Renaissance series came out after the Infinity Kappa models of the late 1980's, thus they have updated drivers, and arent as power-hungry as the notorious Kappa 9's.

There are 29 reviews which you can read here (to go to the next page, just click on 'next 5 reviews' at the bottom):

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/fl...49_1594crx.aspx

View of Ren 90's with grilles off:

BeatleFred

BeatleFred's System

Postby hifi_nut » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:41 pm

Thanks for the great link, Fred.

Now that you mention it, and provided me with a date clue, I seem to remember what I listened to were some Kappa models. I liked them, and I could swear they had also 2 ribbon drivers, like yours.

Jorge
hifi_nut

BeatleFred's System

Postby Elroy » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:47 pm

BeatleFred wrote:Hi Jorge:

I'm not sure whether to move this discussion over to the Speakers forum, but I suppose I'll continue here. I have absolutely nothing but the highest praise for the Renaissance 90's, they are extremely elegant looking (the tapered shape of the cabinet allows the speaker to present an incredible Soundstage, which distinguishes it from the more boxy-shaped cabinet designs of older models), and the sound quality is just awesome. The Renaissance series came out after the Infinity Kappa models of the late 1980's, thus they have updated drivers, and arent as power-hungry as the notorious Kappa 9's.

There are 29 reviews which you can read here (to go to the next page, just click on 'next 5 reviews' at the bottom):

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/fl...49_1594crx.aspx

View of Ren 90's with grilles off:

You could always cut some of the non-intro stuff and re-post in speakers if you want.

elroy
Elroy

BeatleFred's System

Postby dingus » Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:17 am

BeatleFred's system posted here.
dingus
Site Admin

BeatleFred's System

Postby bolly » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:52 am

nice! :fro:
bolly

BeatleFred's System

Postby Charivari » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:32 pm

Ah, good, another Infinity guy. Nice system there.

- JP
Charivari

BeatleFred's System

Postby Mark B » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:35 am

What a great collection of vintage Sansui! I would love to see some additional pics, including nudies if you've got em.
Mark B

BeatleFred's System

Postby BeatleFred » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:10 am

Thanks Mark,

I'll try and take some more pics when I have a chance. I have even more hi fi gear not shown in the pics, I just dont have the extra room to set them up. I'd love to get the basement remodeled, but being able to afford it is another story, as a major renovation would cost big bucks.

All the Sansui amps are great, but its the Infinity speakers that are the true stars of the show. The Renaissance 90's are truly superb, I get alot of pleasure from listening to them.

Regards,

Fred
BeatleFred

Next

Return to Members' Systems